Welcome to The Pregame Lineup, a weekday newsletter that gets you up to speed on everything you need to know for today's games, while catching you up on fun and interesting stories you might have missed. Today's edition is brought to you by David Adler.
How in the world does a Russian tennis superstar become a Cincinnati Reds superfan? That's what we're trying to get to the bottom of today.
Daniil Medvedev has thrown us all for a loop with his love of -- and, apparently, his encyclopedic knowledge about -- the Reds, of all teams.
Medvedev, who's currently ranked the No. 7 men's tennis player in the world, attended his first-ever baseball game last year at Great American Ball Park, after an early-round exit from the Cincinnati Open tennis tournament.
He's been a Reds fan ever since.
"I was like, 'Why haven’t I gone before?'" Medvedev told the Cincinnati Enquirer last week. "I started watching baseball more than any other sport, except tennis. Since they were the first team I saw live, why not be a Cincinnati Reds fan?"
Since Medvedev is back in town to play the 2026 Cincinnati Open this week, the Reds brought him out to the ballgame yesterday to throw out the first pitch. He threw a perfect strike, naturally.
And don't you dare question Medvedev's ball knowledge. This guy brings receipts.
Medvedev was put to the test on his Reds fandom in a recent Tennis Channel interview -- and he passed with flying colors.
Medvedev got a series of trivia questions on 2026 Reds stats, and he nailed every single one. Team record? Check. Home run leader? No problem, Sal Stewart. Batting average? That'd be Elly De La Cruz. Wins? "Chase Burns, it's too easy."
Not only did Medvedev know the answer to every question, he knew Stewart's home run total and Burns' record exactly, plus De La Cruz's batting average and Burns' ERA to within a few points.
"I know pretty much every player and every stat," Medvedev told the Enquirer. "When I'm a fan of something, I like to really be into it. That's my team."
Next he'll be telling us he eats Skyline Chili between sets.
No comments:
Post a Comment